How you can determine a student's eligibility for a fee waiver
A student's eligibility can be primarily determined using the levels for reduced lunch listed in the USDA income eligibility chart. Eligibility for reduced lunch through the National School Lunch Program is listed below.
|Household Size||Annual Income|
- The household size should be the number of dependents and the filer on the family's current tax statement.
- Students in foster care are considered a household size of one person.
More than six dependents
To determine income levels for families with more than six dependents, take the difference in increase in the annual income allowance from five to six dependents and apply that increment to each additional dependent.
Other criteria for identifying eligible students
- The student is enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., TRIO programs such as Upward Bound).
- The student's family receives public assistance.
- The student lives in a federally subsidized public housing project or foster home, or is homeless.
Learn more about assisting your students by reading about test-specific guidelines: