Research shows that students who take AP courses and exams are more likely to graduate college on time; the gains are greatest for low-income students and students of color. However, nearly 40,000 New York City high school students are enrolled in schools that do not offer any AP courses today.
In high schools that do offer AP courses, there are wide disparities in participation and performance for black and Hispanic students, as well as English language learners and students with disabilities.
Expanding access to AP will help more New York City students get familiar with advanced course work and earn the skills they’ll need in college.
Expanding Access to AP in New York City
The AP for All initiative, part of New York City’s Equity and Excellence agenda, will bring new AP courses to schools that offer few or no AP courses. These schools will get rigorous training for new and continuing AP teachers. The city will also help school leaders identify students who are ready for AP course work and prepare those students to address equity gaps.
New AP courses and preparatory courses will start in fall 2016, with 75% percent of students offered at least five AP classes by fall 2018. By fall 2021, students at all high schools will have access to a full slate of at least five AP classes.
Resources for Educators
- AP Central®: This AP teacher site features AP course and exam information, portals to the AP Course Audit and the AP Teacher Communities, resources for counselors and administrators to get the word out about AP, and more.
- AP Mentoring: Provides online, teacher-to-teacher support for AP teachers of all experience levels.
- AP Capstone™: Equips students with the independent research, collaborative teamwork, and communication skills increasingly valued by colleges. It cultivates curious, independent, and collaborative scholars able to make logical, evidence-based decisions.
- AP Computer Science Principles: Introduces students to foundational concepts and lets them see how computing and technology impacts the world.
Resources for Students
- AP Students: Learn about the rewards of taking AP courses, what courses and exams are like, how to enroll, and more.