Policies for administering alternate AP Exams
Occasionally, circumstances make it necessary for students to test late. Situations under which the AP Program authorizes schools to conduct late testing appear below.
To preserve the security of AP Exams, alternate forms are used for late testing. All students who participate in late testing at a given school must take these alternate exams on the scheduled late-testing dates at the scheduled times. Early testing is not permitted under any circumstances. Visit the late-testing schedule for the complete list of dates.
Reasons for late testing
Reasons for which late testing (using an alternate form of the exam) will and will not be allowed are listed below. Only those students affected by the conflict may test late; all other students must test on the regularly scheduled date.
Some circumstances are generally beyond the control of school officials and students. In such cases, there will be no additional fee for using an alternate form of the exam. Other circumstances are those in which schools or students generally have a choice between accepting the scheduled date and requesting an alternate date. When such situations arise, the school will be billed an additional $45 for each exam to partially defray costs of developing, scoring, and shipping these alternate exams.
Should you have an exceptional circumstance not covered in the list below, contact AP Services at (212) 632-1781 or (877) 274-6474 (toll free in the United States and Canada).
Reasons for late testing:
- No additional fee:
- Conflict with International Baccalaureate (IB) exam
- Conflict with state-, province-, or nationally-mandated tests
- Disabilities accommodation issue
- Emergency: bomb scare or fire alarm
- Emergency: serious injury, illness, or family tragedy
- Language lab scheduling conflict
- Religious holiday/observance
- School closing: election, national holiday, or natural disaster
- Strike/labor conflict
- Three or more AP Exams on same date
- Two AP Exams on same date and time
- Additional $45 fee per exam:*
- Academic contest/event
- Athletic contest/event
- Conflict with non-AP and non-IB exam
- Family commitment
- Ordering error
- Other school event
- School closing (local decision, non-emergency)
* Students who qualify for College Board fee reductions will not incur the $45 charge if alternate testing is required for one of these reasons.
Ordering alternate exams for late testing
Other things you should know about late testing:
- Alternate exams are equivalent in depth and difficulty to the regularly scheduled exams.
- Students' scores may be delayed up to one month (until August)—make sure they are aware.
- Students' free-response booklets from alternate exams are not available for purchase.
- AP Instructional Planning Reports do not include data from alternate exams.
- If a school fails to follow AP security procedures and does not administer the alternate exams on the specified dates at the specified times, scores for those exams will be canceled, and the school may be prohibited from offering AP Exams in the future.