is January 31, 2018. has been extended to February 23, 2018. Apply now!
The College Board and Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) are happy to announce the Language LEAP (Learning, Engaging, Applying, Propelling): Chinese Program in the summer of 2018. The Language LEAP: Chinese Program is a unique opportunity for U.S. institutions to bring students to participate in a two-week study abroad program in Beijing, China, from July 1–15, 2018.
The Language LEAP: Chinese Program is overseen and administered by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters. The program will focus on the application of knowledge about Chinese language and culture in a real-life, immersive environment. The program will consist of a mix of Chinese language and culture coursework as well as study visits to cultural and historical sites in Beijing. In order to foster a truly immersive environment, the entire program will be strictly administered in Chinese.
Institutions may apply to bring a group of high school students who are currently enrolled in Chinese language classes and who are planning to enroll in the AP Chinese Language and Culture course for the 2018-19 school year. Please note that the program is only accepting applications from public school districts and private/charter schools; group applications and individual students will not be considered for participation.
Districts and private schools will apply through an application form, and the College Board will review applications and make recommendations to Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters for participation based on a series of eligibility criteria. Hanban will be responsible for the planning and administration of the in-China program. Individual students will not be recommended, only district or private school groups. Groups of less than 5 students will not be considered. Funding for an accompanying chaperone will be based on a 10-students-to-1-chaperone basis, and all applying districts will be responsible for adhering to local school district travel guidelines and regulations, including accommodating any local chaperone-to-student ratio requirements. The official number of spaces for each district or school will be confirmed after applications are reviewed in January 2018.
The College Board and Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters enthusiastically encourage school districts and private schools that offer AP Chinese Language and Culture to identify a group of 5 or more eligible students and to apply for this dynamic and transformative Chinese Language and Cultural immersion study program in Beijing, China.
For more information, please contact [email protected] or call 212-520-8650.
During the Language LEAP: Chinese Program, student participants will:
- Participate in Chinese language and culture courses at the Beijing Language and Culture University.
- Enrich their Chinese language knowledge through coursework taught in Chinese.
- Explore how the Chinese language is used in a variety of modern, daily scenarios and professional environments.
- Network with students from across the U.S. and China in an international setting.
- Visit cultural and historical l sites in and around Beijing.
The application deadline is
January 31, 2018. February 23, 2018.
The LEAP Program takes place from July 1–15, 2018.
To be considered for participation in a district student group, selected students must meet the following criteria:
- Be 16 years of age or older before July 1, 2018.
- Hold a valid U.S. passport with an expiration date of January 1, 2019, or later.
- Be enrolled as a high school student in a U.S. school district or private school and currently enrolled in a Chinese language class.
- Be registered or planning to enroll in AP Chinese Language and Culture for the 2018-19 school year.
- Have a grade of B or above in Chinese, as well as be well balanced overall academically.
- Be recommended for participation by both their current Chinese teacher and district or school administration.
- The College Board will review applications and make recommendations to Hanban for participation.
- Selected school districts and schools will be asked to review and sign a document that outlines the terms and conditions of participation before being finally accepted into the program.
Note: Interested school districts and private schools are encouraged to apply as early as possible. All applications are subject to individual review and approval and compliance with applicable laws.
- Round-trip international airfare to Beijing.
- International travel insurance.
- Chinese visa application fees.
- U.S. passport application fees (if necessary).
- Personal miscellaneous costs (if any).
- Costs incurred by any extra chaperone(s).* (The program covers one (1) chaperone per ten (10) students.) (*If additional chaperones are required based on district policy, then districts will be required to allocate funds accordingly for participation.)
Costs covered by the program
The following costs are covered by the program for students and for one (1) chaperone for every ten (10) students:
- Two-week curriculum at Beijing.
- Accommodation and meals on a secure university campus.
- Local transportation in Beijing.
Participants are required to have a valid passport with at least six (6) months validity from the date of departure (i.e., with an expiration date of January 1, 2019, or later). Proof of a valid passport will be required to confirm participation of selected participants.
Note: If you do not have a valid passport, please obtain one immediately. For more information, please visit the U.S. passport page.