The Chinese Guest Teacher Program is designed to help U.S. schools develop Chinese language and culture study programs and to promote international exchange between the United States and China. Made possible through a collaboration between the College Board and Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban), the program has grown to be the largest Chinese visiting teacher program in the U.S. Each year, the program serves hundreds of K–12 schools and districts nationwide and reaches tens of thousands of U.S. students.
Now Accepting Applications
The Guest Teacher Program is now accepting applications for the 2017-18 school year.
Launch or Expand your Chinese Program: Host a Teacher
Since 2007, the College Board has brought more than 1,200 Chinese language and culture teachers to classrooms across the nation.
This program provides an experienced language teacher from China to fill full-time Chinese language instruction positions in a host school or district for a period of one to three years. The guest teachers have at least two years of teaching experience, and go through a rigorous selection and training process before arriving at the host schools. Participating institutions are responsible for providing a partial salary to the guest teacher, and the remainder is subsidized by a stipend from Hanban.
Key benefits of hosting a guest teacher for schools and students include:
- Host institutions can start or expand a Chinese language and culture program at a reasonable cost.
- Students learn authentic Chinese language, interact with a native Chinese instructor, and participate in cross-cultural activities with Chinese students.
- Schools can lay a foundation for offering AP® Chinese classes in the future.
- Chinese guest teachers can assist in curriculum development, program expansion, and partnership creation.
Take this chance to bring innovative international programs into your school and community, and build up your Chinese program offerings efficiently and affordably.
Online Information Webinar:
- Friday, Jan. 20, at 11 a.m. (EST) Register now.
After registering you will receive an email with details about how to join the meeting.
New Host Institution Deadline: Feb. 3, 2017
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
NEW host institutions: If your institution would like to apply to host a Chinese Guest Teacher through the College Board Guest Teacher Program for the first time, fill out our application for new institutions.
Download a checklist (.pdf/471KB) for the application for new institutions as a useful guide to plan your application.
CURRENT host institutions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the link to the renewal application.
Looking for more information?
- See Frequently Asked Questions for hosting a teacher.
- See a list of participating schools and districts.