Information for Students and Parents
- Why Community College
- Six Benefits of Community Colleges
- Transferring from a Community College
- Your College Degree Options: Which Kind of Degree Do You Want?
- Placement Tests: A Tool for Community College Success
- Official College Board publications for students, families, and community college educators include The College Board College Handbook, The College Board Scholarship Handbook, The College Board College Cost & Financial Aid Handbook, and The College Board Book of Majors.
Online College Planning Tools
Links for Professionals
- Community College Sourcebook: Strategies for Advising Transfer Students from Experienced Community College Counselors
- The Completion Arch: Measuring Community College Student Success
- College Board Membership
- College Board Advocacy
- College Board Professional Development
These publications highlight critical issues that affect community colleges.
Requires “Adobe Reader” (latest version recommended).
- “Transfer as Academic Gauntlet: The Student Perspective” (.pdf/1.5M) (Stephen J. Handel, April 2013)
- “Recurring Trends and Persistent Themes: A Brief History of Transfer” (.pdf/939K) (Stephen J. Handel, March 2013)
- “The Promise of Transfer: Summary of Empirical Analyses, Policy Reflections and Recommendations” (.pdf/960K) (Stephen J. Handel and Ronald Williams, The College Board, October 2012)
- “Increasing Student Participation in Higher Education- New Collaborations for New Populations” (.pdf/218K) (Stephen J. Handel and James Montoya, The College Board, September 2012)
- “Increasing Higher Education Access and Success Using New Pathways to the Baccalaureate: The Emergence of a Transfer-Affirming Culture” (.pdf/102K) (Stephen J. Handel, The College Board, December 2011).
- “Improving Student Transfer from Community Colleges to Four-Year Institutions – The Perspectives of Leaders from Baccalaureate-Granting Institutions” (.pdf/1.4M) (Stephen J. Handel, The College Board, July 2011)
- “Reimagining Remediation” (.pdf/649K) (Stephen J. Handel and Ronald Williams, Change, March/April 2011)
- “Transfer and the Role of Two- and Four-Year Institutional Partnerships in Addressing the Nation’s Workforce and Educational Equity Needs” (.pdf/363K) (Stephen J. Handel, The College Board, Journal of Applied Research in the Community College, Spring 2011)
- “Helping Academic Advisers Become Assessment and Placement Advocates for Their Students.”
(Stephen J. Handel, The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal, November 17, 2010)
- “Silent Partners in Transfer Admissions.”
(Stephen J. Handel, The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 19, 2010)
- “Trustees & Transfer” (.pdf/98KB)
(Stephen J. Handel, Community College Trustee Quarterly, Fall 2010)
- “Transfer and the Part-Time Student: The Gulf Separating Community Colleges and Selective Universities.” (Stephen J. Handel, Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning, June 2009).
- Strengthening the Nation by Narrowing the Gap: Community Colleges Key to America's Economic Growth” (.pdf/620KB).
(Stephen J. Handel and James Montoya, Community College Journal, December 2008/January 2009).
- “A New Educational Imperative for a New Global Century” (.pdf/73KB).
(Ronald Williams and Stephen J. Handel, Global Themes in Vocational Education and Training, 2008).
- “Aid and Advocacy – Why Community College Transfer Students Do Not Apply for Financial Aid and How Counselors Can Help Get Them in the Game” (.pdf/2.3MB).
(Stephen J. Handel, Journal of College Admission. 2008).
- “Rethinking the Role of Community Colleges: A Public Conversation” (.pdf/307KB).
(Stephen J. Handel, Community College Trustee Quarterly, Spring 2008).
- “Transfer Students Apply to College Too: How Come We Don't Help Them?” (.pdf/34KB).
(Stephen J. Handel, Chronicle of Higher Education, October 26, 2007).
- “Second Chance not Second Class: A Blueprint for Four-Year Institutions Interested in Community College Transfer Students”
(Stephen J. Handel, Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning, September/October 2007).
- “Tutoring Trustees” (.pdf/38KB).
(Stephen J. Handel, Community College Trustee Quarterly, Fall 2006).
- “Academic Cultures of Community Colleges and Selective Four-Year Institutions: The “Transfer-Going” Context in California” (.pdf/3.29 MB).
(Plenary remarks by Stephen J. Handel at the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation National Forum, Washington D.C., June 28, 2006).
- “Strengthening the High School-to-Community College Transition” (.pdf/277KB).
(Stephen J. Handel, Community College Trustee Quarterly, Winter 2006).
- “Pursuing Higher Education Access and Achievement: Case Studies in the Development of "Transfer-Going" Cultures” (.pdf/317KB).
(Paper prepared by Stephen J. Handel and Alfred Herrera for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation National Forum, Washington D.C., June 28–29, 2006).
- “Preparing High School Students for Community College Success” (.pdf/357KB).
(Stephen J. Handel, Community College Trustee Quarterly, Fall 2005).
- “The Effectiveness of the Transfer Path for Educationally Disadvantaged Students” (Chapter 8 in Expanding Opportunities in Higher Education: Leveraging Promise, SUNY Press, 2006).