Second Edition (2009)
Community College Counselor Sourcebook: Strategies for Advising Transfer Students from Experienced Community College Counselors, Second Edition (PDF version only) provides student service professionals with strategies, tips, and other resources to serve community college students whose goal is to transfer to a four-year college or university and complete the baccalaureate degree. The Sourcebook relies on advice supplied by experienced community college counselors, transfer center directors, and other student service professionals, while also incorporating the latest research on programs and best practices that effectively serve community college students.
With more than 270 pages, the Sourcebook covers a variety of topics such as preparing students academically for transfer; navigating course articulation issues; helping students research, select, and apply to transfer institutions; and assisting students in applying for financial aid. The Sourcebook also includes more than two dozen handouts that can be reproduced and distributed.
The second edition (2009) is a complete revision of the original Sourcebook (2006) and includes two new chapters:
- Advising First-Generation Students, which addresses the unique needs of students who are first in their family to attend college
- Assessment and Placement: Getting Students Started Right, which focuses on students' first year at a community college and the critical role of assessment in preparing students for a successful college career
The Sourcebook can save staff time in research, resulting in more time with students. Copies of the Sourcebook may be ordered from College Board's online store.
Table of Contents
- The Pivotal Role of Community College Counselors
- A Profile of America's Community College Students — Identifying and Meeting Their Academic Counselor Needs
- Preparing Students Academically for Transfer
- Course Transferability and Articulation
- Helping Students Research and Select Transfer Destinations
- The Transfer Application Process
- Financial Aid for Transfer Students
- Life After Transfer
- Advising First-Generation Students
- Assessment and Placement: Getting Students Started Right